Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Daring Greatly

Is anybody still out there??!! J I have wanted to post for a long time. The saying is true if you need to get something done ask a busy person. My life has become less hectic with school obligations, but I find my days pass me by and I wonder what I have accomplished??

School and life is starting to pick up again, I will write more about this later. BUT first I have been thinking about and wanting to share one of my favorite quotes since watching a very cool movie.

The movie is The Worlds Fastest Indian, an inspiring biographical movie about a man’s quest to set a new land speed record. The main character, Burt, references one of my very favorite quotes by Theodore Roosevelt.

Here is a link to a clip from the movie: http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/the-worlds-fastest-indian/the-man-in-the-arena

The entire quote is as follows:

“ It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly… who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement & who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold & timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat”

--Theodore Roosevelt

I know the pain of failure and I know the excitement that accompanies success. My prayer is that I continue to live passionately acknowledging that I have been called to a specific purpose. To know one’s purpose is to know her true self, who God intended her to be, and what she is doing. She also has the determination to accomplish what it is she is purposed to do. My prayer is that I never become stagnant with fear and uncertainty. But rather, purposefully and wisely choose my path. Everyday each of us is called to dare greatly for a worthy cause; there are only 2 choices: to join or to watch.

2 Timothy 1: 7

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline

1 Corinthians15: 58

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.


Disclaimer: The Worlds Fastest Indian is rated PG-13 for brief language, drug use and a sexual reference. Because of this, I would not recommend everyone watch this movie, as some of the content could be offensive.